Today’s “woah” map: Foreclosures in Richmond 2009-2011

This is a guest post by Brian Koziol. Brian is the Housing Policy & Research Analyst with Housing Opportunities Made Equal of Va Inc. He is a graduate of the Master of Urban and Regional Planning program from Virginia Commonwealth University. Brian lives in Richmond Va.

Download a hi res PDF version of this map

Above is a map showing the location of foreclosed properties in the City in relation to the percentage of African American homeowners by census tract. Clearly those tracts with higher rates of African American home ownership have experienced significantly more foreclosure than other neighborhoods.

  • census tracts with 80% or greater African American home ownership account for 40% of all foreclosures in the City.
  • census tracts having 60% or greater African American home ownership reveals that they account for 74% of all foreclosures in the City of Richmond.

This is inclusive of approximately 85% of all foreclosures in the City from January 1, 2009 through July of this year. I am working on integrating the remaining 15% of the data, but feel that it will only reinforce the pattern revealed here.

The foreclosure data came from an analysis of the City of Richmond’s Property Transfer Database and the demographic data came from US Census, Decennial Census, SF1, 2010.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s